Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Springpad for Desktop?! Awww darn, anti-viruses!

So I was just going through my RSS feeds and checked the Springpad feed.
I know this is a couple days old, but I missed this in my twitter feed(I have to whittle down whom I follow) and since I check my RSS feeds about once a week(Bad me!) I am a little late in sharing this with you.

From Springpad's blog:
For those of you who have been asking for a desktop Springpad app, your wish has been granted by our friends over at Oak Circle Software.
They created Deskpad - a program for Windows and Linux that lets you view, edit, and back-up the data that you’ve stored in Springpad. (coming soon to Mac OSX)
With Deskpad, you can access your data from your computer when you’re offline, make edits, and add new stuff – then it will upload your changes the next time that you connect to the web.
 Looking on their website, it looks like there is only a free trial version(it's in beta). This is according to the 3rd party app developer's website:
You can use all of Deskpad's features for the first thirty days. After that, if you haven't purchased it, you can still use it to back up and look at your data, but you'll only be able to edit Notes and Checklists.
I'm downloading it now, and I'll try------
So I just tried installing the .exe file and my anti-virus(Norton) removed it automatically. I clicked to fine out more details about the threat it noted and this is what THEY said:
Updated: February 15, 2012 3:15:47 PM
Type: Other
Risk Impact: High
Systems Affected: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000
Behavior: WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories. 
The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.
 So basically Norton is saying "Hey! Not enough people has used this so screw you! Oh, you download the file again? We'll remove it again! Muahahaha!"

I'll have to test it at the library(they auto-wipe after you logout) and give you guys a review. If it works nicely, I'll save it to a flash drive and install it to my laptop. I'm still awaiting a USB adapter for my Nexus, so it looks like I'll have to take my laptop to class until that thing arrives, and it'd be darned nice to have offline access for my note.

I'll also let you know if it does anything funny to my computer.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Grace! I'm the developer behind Deskpad, and I just noticed this post via a Google search (thanks!). We weren't aware of the "WS.Reputation.1" problem... it looks like Norton doesn't have a way to submit a fast-changing program for white-listing. :-( We'll look into adding a digital signature to the installer and program, maybe that will calm its paranoia.

    I don't see a review posted. Were you ever able to get it to run? Also, we've updated it several times since then, and we're about to post another update (probably over the weekend) that adds support for more Springpad types as well as several other new features.

    We'll be happy to provide a free copy for your review. Please contact us via the Contact page on the Oak Circle website (http://www.oakcircle.com/contact.html) with the e-mail address to send it to. We'd also be interested in any suggestions you have for improving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never able to get the program to run, but I would love to give it another try in order to be able to give it a review! :)

      Delete